Are you a youth in need of housing or support? Do you know someone who might need support?
- Call us at (847) 297-8541
- Text SHELTER to 77948 for Immediate Access to Shelter Staff
- Message us at Harbour 24/7
How to Support a Friend Experiencing Homelessness
It is important to reduce the stigma around homelessness and show that you are a safe and trusted support. Some things you can do to help include:
- Provide or refer them to safe and stable housing in a supervised, structured and nurturing environment
- Engage them through strong personal connections with caring, trusted adults
- Offer food, clothing, financial assistance, educational and employment support
What Youth May Experience
A youth with no place to sleep may experience trauma on many levels. Even one night without a safe place to stay can risk exploitation, medical and mental health issues. Experiencing homelessness can have long-lasting effects that impacts their quality of life.
Why might a youth experience homelessness? Here are some possible scenarios that can lead to housing insecurity:
- Youth were asked to leave or kicked out of their home.
- Youth is experiencing violence in the home and it is no longer safe to stay there.
- Youth is couch surfing or sleeping at a friend or family member's house.
- Youth is sleeping in a car or at bus and train stations
- Youth aged out of foster care